The likelihood of developing psoriasis can start in your genes. A lot of people carry defective genes conveying bad information that can lead to abnormally rapid cell growth. However, you may also need some type of trigger that could be stress, injury or certain illnesses to truly come up with psoriasis.
There are certain risk factors that can enhance a person’s likelihood for psoriasis. These factors may include:
- Stress – There are people who suffer from psoriasis due to stressful situations.
- Alcohol – People who are heavy drinkers often experience flare ups. Moreover, their alcohol drinking lessens the potency of the medicines they are taking.
- Smoking – Smokers who also have a family history of psoriasis have a very high chance to get this condition that may even be more severe than typical cases of it.
- Obesity – The heavier you become the more likely you will develop psoriasis. Psoriasis symptoms like plaques often occur in skin folds. If you want to get rid of these symptoms, consult with your physician about exercise and weight-loss programs you can try.
Risk factors that can arise from psoriasis
If you have psoriasis, you might be at risk for the following health problems:
- Cardiovascular disease – Heart disease can arise in people with severe psoriasis.
- Depression – About a quarter of people who report a complaint of psoriasis also report suffering from depression.
- Psoriatic arthritis – A third of psoriasis sufferers eventually acquire psoriatic arthritis that is characterized by long bouts of joint pain and inflammation and stiffness in the morning. Other symptoms of this condition can include nail problems, swollen, toes and fingers, lessened range of motion and fatigue among others.
Vickery Health & Wellness
18455 Burbank Blvd #306
Tarzana, CA 91356