Gastroesophageal reflux disease or GERD, for short, is a condition in which abdominal contents reflux or flow back into the esophagus.
The signs of GERD are as follows:
- Nausea after eating
- Heartburn that may occur after laying down, when bending over, or after eating
- A sensation of something stuck in the throat
- Chest pain
- Bitter taste in the mouth
- Acid reflux
The Western ways of treating GERD include:
- Smoking Cessation
- Elevating the head during sleep
- Staying away from foods that trigger symptoms such as spicy foods and alcohol
- Antacids after eating
Gastroesophageal reflux disease has also been known to cause further complications. It may lead to the following conditions if left untreated:
- Irritation of the airways
- Dental problems due to the incessant acid regurgitation
- Damage to the lining of the esophagus that may lead to the inflammation of the esophagus, a narrowing of the esophagus, or cancer
GERD, according to Chinese medicine, is usually caused by liver-spleen or wood-earth disharmony complicated by heat. This occurs when the qi n the liver channel does not flow smoothly due to blockage or stress and the spleen meridian being unable to perform its digestive functions normally. Heat is the factor causing the person difficulty in eating certain foods as well as the factor responsible for the burning sensation.
Specific herbs and acupuncture are the most effective Chinese medicine treatments in Bellingham that can boost your spleen qi, move your liver qi, clear heat, and prevent the stomach contents from flowing back into the esophagus. The treatment involves sleeping in an elevated position. The goal is to stop the nauseous feeling after eating, eliminate the sensation of something stuck in the throat, halt acid regurgitation, and remove one’s dependence on medications (antacids). This way, one can avoid the discomforts of the signs and symptoms of GERD, and go back doing to one’s normal activities.